Is Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Safe? Let's Think It Through!  

Posted by TJ in , , , , , , , , , ,

Hello,
Here is an article from Dr. Holly Lucille about Hormone Replacement Therapy.(HRT)
I believe it to be very informative.
Please read on...

Is Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Safe?
Let's Think It Through!

By Dr. Holly Lucille

As a Naturopathic Doctor I have been taught to think about health and healing in a very comprehensive, holistic manner. In fact, the science that drives my thought process is that of Vitalism.

Vitalism states that our bodies have an inherent self healing mechanism and are brilliant and built to stay in balance through the harmonious efforts of many interrelated systems and are constantly working on our behalf to take care of us.

As a practitioner of this style of medicine, I am challenged to listen and ask deeper questions when I am involved with a patient who has become entirely out of balance and therefore symptomatic. Symptoms are the body’s way of telling us that something needs attention. I have to understand where there might be “obstacles to cure”, where there might be some excess, some deficiencies and then work with the body in order to achieve a state of health.

This brings me to the issue at hand, hormones... and of course hormone replacement therapy, or "HRT". The topic has almost reached celebrity status with genuine confusion and concern regarding what is being talked about! I have been extremely perplexed at the whole notion of replacing hormones. I ask…where did they go? Which hole did they fall out of? Did a woman leave them at a party one night and wake up the asking “oh my..has anyone seen my hormones?” Our bodies have exactly what they need to make all the hormones we need at any particular stage in a women’s life. When there is trouble hormonally, it is more about restoring function rather than replacing it!

As my private naturopathic practice evolved, I was in awe at the number of women I experienced having trouble during normal hormonal transitions. I saw women having difficulty transitioning into menopause, a very natural, once celebrated once honored stage, and I also saw an extraordinary number of younger women experiencing weight gain, irritability, insomnia, decreased libido, and hot flashes.

There were also women with sexual and reproductive problems—infertility, uterine fibroids, endometriosis, ovarian cysts, and severe premenstrual syndrome (PMS)—as well as breast and uterine cancer. Most of these women came in with a recommendation from their physician that they begin taking synthetic hormones. For women entering menopause it was HRT, and for the younger women it was the birth control pill. These artificial hormones suppress the body’s natural cycles; they do nothing to address why the symptoms are occurring.

Read the entire article here on Hormone Replacement Therapy

This entry was posted at Friday, February 13, 2009 and is filed under , , , , , , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment